Looking for summer? Try the season switch.

International Travelers

Passport Requirements and Border Information
Visitors to Whistler from other countries should be aware that Canada has certain requirements for who can enter the country and the type of identification they must carry.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) Update

Starting November 10, 2016, an electronic verification process will take place for all passengers flying to Canada. This means that citizens who do not require a visa to come to Canada will need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to boarding their flight to Canada, while Canadian citizens, including dual national Canadians, must make sure that they travel with a valid Canadian passport.

Find out if you need an eTA here.

Also, this one-page document provides an in-depth summary of the changes. Should you have any questions or require further support, please contact IRCC at CIC-ETA-AVE@cic.gc.ca

Visa and Passport Requirements

International Visitors

Persons visiting from countries other than the United States should carry their passport and may require visitor visas or an Electronic Travel Authorization eTAs to enter Canada. A list of applicable countries can be found here

Other regulations apply if an extended stay, work or certain types of business activity are contemplated.

Check with the nearest Canadian Consulate well in advance of travel.

Visitors from Mexico

As of July 16, 2009, Mexican visitors require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. Visit the Visa Section of the Embassy of Canada to Mexico to find out how to apply and the location of the nearest Visa Application Center (VAC).

Visitors from the United States

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is U.S. legislation that requires all travelers carry a valid passport or other appropriate secure document, or combination of documents that establish citizenship and identity when travelling to the United States from within the Western Hemisphere.

Since January 23, 2007, anyone travelling by air between the United States and Canada is required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card (when used at designated airports) to enter or re-enter the United States.

As of June 1, 2009, a valid passport OR one of the following documents is mandatory for any person over the age of 16 travelling between the United States and Canada by LAND or SEA/WATER (including cruises and ferries):

  • U.S. Passport Card (not valid for international air travel)
  • State or Province-issued Enhanced Driver’s License (not valid for international air travel)

As of June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizens under the age of 16, or under the age of 19 if travelling with a school, religious, or other youth group, may present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Canadian Citizenship Card or a naturalization certificate. Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy, or certified copy.

What is NEXUS?

NEXUS is a joint program between the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) that expedites the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travelers into Canada and the United States.


Obtaining a NEXUS card

To become a member in the NEXUS program, you must submit an application and go through a registration process, satisfy the eligibility criteria, be admissible in Canada and the United States, and pass risk assessments by both countries.

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all participating NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

More detailed information on the WHTI can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.

Border Information

Admissibility to Canada

People intending to visit Canada who have committed a criminal offence may be inadmissible to Canada or only admissible by permit which carries a C$200 processing fee.

As of March 1, 2012, people who have been convicted of a criminal offence may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without having to pay the C$200 processing fee.

More information for visitors:

  • Canada's Criminal inadmissibility policy from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Admissibility and Pardon Services
  • Crossing the Canadian Border with Children

    Parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. It is also recommended that they have a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent to take the child on a trip out of the country. Such a letter will confirm that the child is not being abducted or taken against his/her will. The parents’ full name, address and telephone number should be included in the letter of authorization.

    When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should arrive at the border in the same vehicle as the children.

    Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

    CBSA officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about the children who are travelling with you.

    U.S./Canada Border Crossing Information

    View U.S. Customs border crossing cams and wait times.

    View Canada Customs border wait times.

    Resources for Visitors

    Information for visitors to Canada from the Canada Border Services Agency.

    Guides and Brochures from Canada Border Services Agency.

    Make Your Reservations Today

    Speak to a Local Expert Toll Free 1-888-403-4727
    Book Online Click Here
    Have a Question? Chat Now
    Calling Internationally? Contact Us