International Travellers

First time coming to Canada?

Here is a assortment of helpful facts and useful information to help you plan your Whistler vacation. Visitors to Whistler from other countries should be aware that Canada has certain requirements for who can enter the country and the type of identification they must carry. For more information visit the Government of Canada’s website.

International Information

Visa and Passport Requirements

Persons visiting from countries other than the United States should carry their passport and may require visitor visas or an Electronic Travel Authorization eTAs to enter Canada. A list of applicable countries can be found here.

Other regulations apply if an extended stay, work or certain types of business activity are contemplated.

Check with the nearest Canadian Consulate well in advance of travel.

More Information

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is U.S. legislation that requires all travelers carry a valid passport or other appropriate secure document, or combination of documents that establish citizenship and identity when travelling to the United States from within the Western Hemisphere.

Since January 23, 2007, anyone travelling by air between the United States and Canada is required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card (when used at designated airports) to enter or re-enter the United States.

As of June 1, 2009, a valid passport OR one of the following documents is mandatory for any person over the age of 16 travelling between the United States and Canada by LAND or SEA/WATER (including cruises and ferries):

  • U.S. Passport Card (not valid for international air travel)
  • State or Province-issued Enhanced Driver’s License (not valid for international air travel)

As of June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizens under the age of 16, or under the age of 19 if travelling with a school, religious, or other youth group, may present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Canadian Citizenship Card or a naturalization certificate. Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy, or certified copy.


NEXUS is a joint program between the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) that expedites the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travelers into Canada and the United States.


To become a member in the NEXUS program, you must submit an application and go through a registration process, satisfy the eligibility criteria, be admissible in Canada and the United States, and pass risk assessments by both countries.

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all participating NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
NEXUS Program

Changes to eTA and visitor visa requirements for Mexican citizens

As of 11:30 p.m. ET on February 29, 2024, Mexican citizens travelling to Canada will need to meet new requirements to travel to Canada.


Starting at 11:30 p.m. ET on February 29, 2024,

  • you will need to meet new requirements to be eligible for an electronic travel authorization (eTA)
  • if you already have an eTA, it will automatically be cancelled unless you also have a valid work or study permit
  • if you have an eTA application in progress, you will need to apply for a new eTA or for a visitor visa
  • before you travel to Canada, you will need to apply for a new eTA (if eligible)
  • if you’re not eligible for an eTA anymore, you will need to apply for a visitor visa to travel to Canada

These changes apply even if you already booked your travel. Having pre-booked travel plans or a previously valid eTA does not guarantee you will be approved for a new eTA or a visa.

More Information

Border Information

Admissibility to Canada

People intending to visit Canada who have committed a criminal offence such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol may be inadmissible to Canada or only admissible by permit which carries a C$200 processing fee.

As of March 1, 2012, people who have been convicted of a criminal offence may be able to get a temporary resident permit for one visit without having to pay the C$200 processing fee.

Crossing the Canadian Border with Children

Parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. It is also recommended that they have a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent to take the child on a trip out of the country. Such a letter will confirm that the child is not being abducted or taken against his/her will. The parents’ full name, address and telephone number should be included in the letter of authorization.

When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should arrive at the border in the same vehicle as the children.

Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

CBSA officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about the children who are travelling with you.

Other Resources for Visitors

Need help booking?

We guarantee the lowest prices. Our team of Local Experts can help you plan the perfect Whistler vacation.

Speak to a Local Expert
Toll Free 1-888-403-4727
Book Online
Click Here
Calling Internationally?
See All Phone Numbers